This weekend they also made the first ornaments of the season. The Bug made the gold glittered salt dough person, Miss M made the others using a combination of markers and glitter. And the popsicle stick Rudolph is hers also.
For Advent, we are following many of our traditions, and adding in only one new element this year. We will be:
- Lighting advent candles and saying our special prayers each evening after dinner. We will also be celebrating the Saint and Feast days that occur during Advent.
- Hanging ornaments on our Jesse Tree and doing the accompanying Bible readings. We are using the printable ornaments that came with our Family Faith Formation program this year.
- Doing our usual Advent calendar. This year the pockets mainly contain activities including; stringing popcorn and cranberries for the birds, driving to see Christmas lights, making candy cane ice cream, watching Polar Express, and baking gluten-free holiday cookies.
- We are reading one book each day for the month of December, although I am not doing accompanying crafts this year. So far we have read an old favorite, Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett, and a new favorite Christmas Mouseling by Dori Chaconas.
- New to us this year is using the free Advent Adventures from Holy Heroes. I think the combination of videos, online activities and daily novena will give that extra spark that we need this year!