Thursday, November 10, 2011

Miss Tutu's Star


When Miss M brought the book Miss Tutu's Star by Leslea Newman home from the library, I knew exactly which craft I wanted to do with it.  I had seen the ballet dress with the handprint tutu on Pinterest and wanted to recreate it for Miss M's room.  [This is a sweet book about a little girl named Selena who wants to be a ballerina.  I appreciate how the dance teacher is always encouraging and tells her that since she has a heart for dance, she is already a star.  Selena practices and practices until she can get the steps right for her recital.  The illustrations are full of cute little details and the words rhyme in a fun way, which appealed to Miss M greatly.]

The original project called for doing this on canvas, but we did it on watercolor paper as we are framing it.  First, I just free-hand cut a leotard shape out of pink paper and Miss M glued it down.


Next, we made a tutu skirt using four of her handprints in light pink, and then when it was dry added another two on top in a slightly darker pink.  We were too impatient to wait for the light pink color to dry by itself, so I used a hairdryer to speed up the process.



We glued a pink ribbon and bow at the waist to finish it off.


The original idea for this project with a full tutorial came from Meet the Dubiens.  I am link this to stART (story + art) at A Mommy's Adventures and Kids Get Crafty at Red Ted Art.

6 comments:

  1. This is totally on my list to do with Ryleigh (I also have it pinned!!!) :-) Yours came out great!! And good call on the hair dryer to speed up the drying! Have a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That a great handprint craft! It came out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just ADORABLE! I love it. So so cute. Put it on Pinterest for you!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!