Sunday, August 29, 2010

Tot School: All About Me

Tot School
(M is 37 months old)

This week's theme in Tot School was All About Me.

First, M made a minibook about "My Family" that I printed from a book of emergent readers I have.

We read Me and My Amazing Body by Joan Sweeney. I thought this book did a great job explaining how your body works at a level toddlers can understand. M wanted to reread it and play with her girl body puzzle every day. This puzzle has five layers so you can explore organs, skeleton, muscles, skin and fully dressed. M LOVES this puzzle.

We made pipecleaner skeletons. (Yes, it looks like a stick figure.)

We worked on Noah's Ark as our Bible lesson this week. M made a watercolor rainbow. First she colored with the watercolor pencils, then she painted over them with water to make the watercolor effect.

We put the correct number of animal stickers under each number.

We worked with our sandpaper letters.

For our stART project we made a flower growth chart.


M practiced cutting straight lines with her scissors. She has finally gotten the grip correct thanks to some tips from Nikki.



We also did a science experiment about fingerprints. First we examined our fingers with a magnifying glass. Then we printed our fingertips onto a card and examined how they were all different. Finally, we talked about how our fingers are ridged to help us pick up objects. We illustrated by picking up pennies first with our thumb and forefinger. Then we put tape on our fingers so they were smooth and tried to pick up the pennies again. It was much harder without our fingerprints; the pennies kept slipping out.

That was our All About Me week. We will be continuing our discovery of the human body next week.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this is fantastic. We have those puzzles too - one boy and one girl.

    I love your stArt project. I have to go find that post now because I guess I missed it.

    I have wanted to do a fingerprints experiment for a while and I keep forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your activities :-)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun week! I love that puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea of an All About Me themed week. We have been doing letters of the week for the past month or so, and I was thinking that I was ready to have a little break from the letters. This just might do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! It looks like she is doing really well! :) Keep it up!
    Thanks for linking up at Home Grown Families for our Friday Blog Hop!
    We're following you now! Come follow us back!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you all had a great week! I love your ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great activities for your theme! I love those beleduc layered puzzles! We bought the boy version a few years ago for our oldest.

    I love how the stART project came out as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!