Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Paper Bag Princess


As part of our princess activities this week, we read The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch. It's the story of Elizabeth, a beautiful princess who lives in the castle and wears fancy clothes. Just before she marries Prince Ronald, a dragon destroys her castle and burns off her clothes with his fiery breath. He then kidnaps Ronald. Elizabeth tracks down the dragon and outwits him to rescue Ronald. But rather than being grateful, Ronald complains that she is wearing a dirty old paper bag and tells Elizabeth to return when she is dressed like a real princess. Needless to say, Elizabeth and Ronald do not get married!


Of course, that meant we had to make a paper bag dress to go along with it.



J chose to be the dragon, and made himself wings.

M said the paper bag was scratchy and chose to wear her "real" princess dress when they re-enacted the story all afternoon long.

I am linking this post to stART (story + art = a great start) at A Mommy's Adventures.

5 comments:

  1. The paper bag was a great idea. I think I would want wear the pretty gown too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read that story too, but Anna didn't like it, because it starts with a dragon killing off everyone in the castle. It was way too intense for her. I remember doing a paper bag outfit last year for our Mexico week - it was worn... about 5 minutes max :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the paper bag dress! The dragon is very cool too! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of doing art to go with the stories. My daughter just got that book and loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read Princess Bubble? That is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!