Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Our Daily Routine

I have received several e-mails asking about our school time routine, particularly how we incorporate both Montessori and Tot School into our days. I thought I'd reply to everyone at once by doing a post detailing our routine. I know what we do won't work for everyone, but it does work for M. She is a VERY high energy child who is happiest when she is mentally challenged with new things.

M starts her day around 6:45 a.m. and is usually ready for school by 8:30. We start with circle time. Our circle time follows the same routine every day, since M will remind me if we go out of order. We do:

  • Opening Prayer
  • Calendar - month, day, date and pattern (the apples were printed from Play2Learn Printables and the pink heart marked our first day of ballet class).
  • Weather - today's weather, temperature and graphing
  • Color word for the day
  • 100 days - counting straws for place value and 100's chart
  • Family Name Wall
  • Signing Time (M is learning her sign-language letters now)
  • Nursery Rhyme and Songs for the week (usually with dancing!)
  • Read Aloud books - usually related to our weekly theme
  • Bible Time
(Great circle time printables can be found at 1+1+1=1, Homeschool Creations, and Mama Jenn).


After we finish with our Bible story we move into the related craft or activity. From there we usually do three to four other planned activities related to our weekly theme. Twice a week we have outside activities (ballet and library story time) and these days we still do Circle Time but do fewer activities. M loves doing "school" and is usually asking me for more than I had planned.




After about an hour of school M is free to use her Montessori materials if she wishes. If I have a new material out on the shelf I will give her a lesson on it, but otherwise this is her time to work independently while I observe. She almost always spends at least another hour doing Montessori work. The length of time she spends in here is up to her.



Usually after two to two-and-a-half hours our school time is done. The rest of her day is spent in free play. We do allow M to have access to her Montessori materials anytime she wants, and she will return to them several times throughout the day. She asks for us to read books throughout the day, and she and J get half-an-hour of a family read-aloud time from Daddy each night before bedtime.

I plan our time with four things in mind:

  1. It must be fun - if M is not enjoying an activity we stop or move on to something else.
  2. School time is always a choice - if she doesn't want to do a particular activity or doesn't want to do school one day then we don't.
  3. I always plan activities that involve lots of movement; I don't expect M to sit still during any point of our day.
  4. I tend to overplan so that I have a lot of choices available to M. But, I don't expect us to get to everything I have planned and I often alter our plans as we go through our day.

Of course, Baby B does school with us. He naps during part of our time, but we usually take breaks for nursing, diaper changes and snuggling!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I love that body puzzle-very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you found a routine that works for you. Here is my question - how do you make sure that small Montessori materials and sensory bin contents are not spread all over the place? Anna is a "hunter-gatherer" - she loves small pieces and mostly she loves to carry them from place to place organizing picnics and cookouts. As a result, all those small pieces end up mixed in a big jumble that drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your routine. It flows nicely for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!
    Thanks for sharing! We are tweaking our natural rhythm as our big girl will be starting Kindergarten this year.

    Jodyw

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!