Monday, July 12, 2010

Alphabet Pebbles

I was going through my new Montessori N' Such catalog this weekend, and saw these alphabet pebbles for sale.

I loved the idea, but I figured I could make them cheaper myself. If you are lucky enough to live in an area where smooth, flat stones are plentiful, then this can even be done for free. We don't, so I purchased a set of clear, flat floral rocks on clearance at Michael's for $2.99.

The original pebbles are engraved to give them a tactile element, so I used puffy paint on my to make the letters raised. You could just write the letters on with permanent markers if you wished. I used the same red/blue letter differentiation from the Montessori moveable alphabet for consistency sake. I had enough rocks to make two sets of the alphabet, so that we can use them for spelling basic words as well.




The whole project took me about 10 minutes to do, and I think we are going to have a lot of fun with them. M was already asking to play with them when they were on the counter drying, so I know they have captured her interest as well.

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!