Friday, April 9, 2010

stART: The Yellow Ball


This week we did participate in stART (story +art) over at A Mommy's Adventure. We have been reading the book The Yellow Ball by Molly Bang. This book is out of print, but our library had a copy. It tells the story of a little ball that gets left at the shoreline and pulled out to sea, only to eventually wash up on a new shore where it is spotted by a little boy. There are very few words to this story, but plenty of drama within the pictures themselves. We like Molly Bang books for the illustrations especially, and M loves this book so I am planning to do more activities using it.


I had read how the author drew the illustrations using chalk, so that's what we did. I gave M various colors of construction paper and then chalk. She loved how bright the colors appeared on the darker papers, and she discovered that she could smear her chalk for a completely different look. In all, M did 6 pages of chalk drawings, she was having so much fun. This is the one she told me was the storm at sea like in the book:

5 comments:

  1. Great idea for the project. I keep wanting to do that too. It's great that M wanted to really try and illustrate a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I really wish our library had a copy - I can't find one! Be sure to check out the lapbook at HSS - lots of fun with this book! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book. I love that you had them create illustrations in the same medium as the illustrator used!

    Thank you for linking up and sharing your stART project :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chalk is really popular at my house too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!