Friday, April 23, 2010

St. George and the Dragon

Within the Catholic Church, April 23 is the Feast of St. George, the patron saint of England, military men, and those who fight the spiritual battle for Christ. After seeing some great craft and food ideas posted on Catholic Icing, I decided the kids and I would do something special to celebrate this day.

Pictures of St. George usually show him killing a dragon (wickedness) to rescue a beautiful lady (God's holy truth). St. George was a brave martyr who was victorious over the devil. J and I talked a lot about what it meant to be a martyr, and what "dragon" we each have to conquer, be it anger or pride or laziness.

J then created a dragon out of blue playdough.


I read the kids the book St. George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges. The illustrations in this book are gorgeous, and both kids loved the story, although it was probably closer to J's level than M's.


Next, we used the directions from Charlotte at Waltzing Matilda to make a dragon cake. M helped me bake the cake, and both helped decorate it. Decorating cakes and cookies is definitely NOT my forte, but the kids had fun making it.



1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is one cool cake!

    The playdough dragon that J made is cool too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!