Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tot School: Zoo

Tot School
(M is 31 months old)

We did do some Tot School this week, although since the weather was finally warm we spent a lot of our time outside playing. When we were inside, our Tot School time focused on the zoo, especially zebras. M has received a subscription to Zootles magazine from my Dad, and she loves the issue she received on zebras, so I just extended it this week.

I found some great zebra lapbook printables from Homeschool Share, including this cut and paste "Z is for..." book. M loved doing this, and insisted on reading me her "Z book" all week. The items are zero, zebra, zipper and zoo.


M also glued stripes to make the letter Z into a zebra. We read how each zebra's stripes are unique, like fingerprints, and she made her own stripe pattern. Of course, a googly eye was necessary.




Finally she did some letter stamping. I let her pick whatever letters she wanted to stamp, but she had to tell me what each letter was and the sound it makes.


I printed and cut out 20 small zebras, and we spent our math time counting zebras. For some reason, I didn't get any pictures of this. M counts to 20 in English, and has recently learned to count to five in Spanish.

We did plenty of arts and crafts projects as always. One morning M made a glitter glue collage. This didn't have anything to do with the zoo, but the squeezing of the tubes helps strengthen her fingers and she LOVES the glitter glue.


I found some small wooden lion and tiger cutouts at the craft store, and M colored them with markers.


She also painted some ceramic monkeys. This was her first experience painting anything 3-D, and she was very into it. We will need to do more of this in the future.



Finally we made an elephant paper bag puppet. The pieces come from a book I have for making ABC puppets.


M and I also did this color-your-own zoo animals journal that I found in the $1 section at Michael's. The journal is M's to draw and write in whenever she wants. Even though she is not forming letters yet, having her own journal to write in is a great way to encourage her for later. Both of our kids are always supplied with spiral notepads, blank books made from stapled papers, colored paper and other fun writing supplies. When J was M's age he scribbled like she does. As he got older he progressed to writing letters, words, sentences and eventually stories. Even now, at 10, he still loves to have journals of his own to write/create in whenever he chooses.


M learned to play on the Wii Fit this week. Here she is ski jumping.

She also continues with her imaginative play. While we played with our zoo puppets and masks a lot this week, she also found time to play with her dress-up clothes. When I was cooking dinner one day, she came to show me how she had put her gloves on her feet!

Finally, J took this photo of M. She was laying on the floor looking through a book and telling him the story that went with each page.


To see what others did in their Tot School this week, visit Carisa's blog at 1+1+1=1.

10 comments:

  1. What a fun week! I love the picture of M with the gloves on her feet...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great week! I love the gloves on her feet! Too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the gloves on her feet! my son likes to put bathmits on as socks.
    and, of course, all projects need some googly eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is just too cute!! Lots of great zoo ideas. I'll have to jot some of those down for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun zoo week!!! Sunshine loves painting 3d stuff too!! The gloves on M's feet are soooo CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great week! I'm in awe of mom's who can do themes. I just don't have it in me, I guess. Our stuff is so random. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like so much fun, love all of your activities!
    ..love the gloves on the feet too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful week! I love the look of concentration in that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the gloves are so cute! i love the elephant. great week

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!