Monday, February 1, 2010

Tot School: Fish

Tot School

I am behind getting this posted, as we had a busy weekend. M and I spent the last two weeks in Tot School working with fish. Usually we only spend one week on a theme, but she was having so much fun I extended it.

Alphabet/Pre-Reading

Confessions of a Homeschooler has wonderful downloadables she has designed herself for her letter of the week themes. We used several of her F is for Fish items this week, and loved them. Here, M is matching letters for "Fish". We matched upper and lowercase to each other and worked on the sounds each letter makes. This was pretty easy for her, but she had fun and wanted to do it several times.

We also played alphabet bingo. I bought this at the Dollar Store a while back, and finally got it out to play. We'd call out the letter, and M had to find it on her card and cover it with a marker and also tell us what sound each letter makes (we are only doing the short vowel sounds for now).


Math

M enjoyed doing her tangrams last week, so this time I printed out some pattern blocks from the Pre-Kinders site. I cute the shapes out of foam so they'd hold up. She loved doing this, and I was amazed she had the patience to get all 23 shapes on in one sitting.


Art

We made lots of art projects these last two weeks. You'll notice I usually let M do art first thing in the morning while she's still in her pajamas. That way if she gets too messy I can just put her in the bath before dressing her.

M made a paper plate and tissue paper collage fish. She loved painting the glue onto the plate.



Next she used her dot markers to make scales on a fish cut-out.


This is partly an art project, but is also great for those fine motor skills we are working on for writing. I gave M a piece of construction paper and some fish stickers. She spent all week going back and adding a few stickers each time until she had the paper covered with a full ocean scene. Since there are very small bubble and star stickers on the sheets, she had to use her pincher grasps to get them onto the paper.


M made a fishbowl using construction paper and some puffy goldfish stickers her Grandma got her for Christmas.

For a stART project we made a Corduroy bear.


With all these planned art projects, we always make time for free-art. M's favorite remains painting of any kind.



Dramatic Play

M was very into her dress-up clothes this week. She loves pretending to be a princess, and she has several dresses to choose from. She loves it so much, I think we'll spend some time this next week doing some princess projects.


That was our last two weeks in Tot School. Be sure to visit Carisa's blog at 1+1+1=1 to see what everyone else did this week.

4 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, Maddie and M could have QUITE the play date! Between dress up clothes and endless watercolor painting sessions, it'd be perfect! :)

    LOVE all the fish activities. You know, YOU were the one that inspired me to do themes and I wanted to thank you for that. I was always timid to start them (not totally sure why?) but every time I'd read your blog, I always got SO motivated to try.

    Anyway, awesome week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious picture of her in her fancy blue dress and red shoes - adorable! You guys had a great week, I really like the fish activities! What a fun theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tissue paper fish! What an awesome two weeks! Alyssa loves painting too and I always forget to take pictures when we do art projects (probably because things get so messy). Thank you for stopping by my blog! I really wanted to use your mitten bell activity for my mitten theme, but I couldn't cut all the foam mittens in time. It's a good thing I didn't since we skipped most of the planned activities anyways. I am so excited about this month - I have planned a lot. I will check blogs for more ideas after we get through what I have planned. Otherwise ... I will try to do too much! Please stop by again anytime.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!