Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Crocheted Christmas Tree Work

When my parents were first married, my Great Aunt crocheted them a Christmas Tree for their house. It's a wooden dowel base that you stack with layers of colored and white crocheted circles. When put together correctly, you get a Christmas tree. I remember loving to put this together with my brothers when we were younger, and J has loved doing it over the last few years, now that it has moved to our home. This year, M gave it a try.

First, she had to separate the layers into two piles: colored and white. Then, she had to sort each color by size. Finally, she had to layer the colors onto the tree in an ABAB pattern. It took almost 45 minutes (and quite a bit of help from me with the size sequencing as some of it is very subtle) but she finally got it, and was so very proud of herself! I am sure we will be redoing the tree plenty over the next few weeks!

2 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous tree, and I see that it's not very easy for a toddler. What a fun way to teach about size sequencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I've never seen anything like this! I crochet, and I'm dying to find a pattern for this - any ideas? What a great activity!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!