Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Open Ended Art: Fall Colors


This week's theme for Open Ended Art was fall colors of red, orange, yellow and brown. This week's project actually came about accidentally from another crafting project.

Originally, I wanted M to make painted leaf prints where you sponge-paint leaves and then lay them on white paper to see the leaf print.



However, after one try I realized this project takes WAY too much patience and attention to detail for a two year-old. Then, I thought we'd do the reverse and do some negative space painting. So, I taped some leaves down on the paper and I had M paint all around them.


She was less than enthused about this, and finally I realized she just wanted to be left alone to paint. So, I gave her a stack of white paper and several types of brushes. She happily spent an hour creating painting after painting, asking for paint refills three times, and eventually ending with the painted hand-prints she loves to make (and the accompanying mess).



9 comments:

  1. fun stuff great leaf prints! love the hand prints and picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so cute! My daughter loves to make hand prints too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your project developed from initial intention to the fun play with paint. That's usually where our painting projects end up as well. The picture of M with her brown hands is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww her handprints do look very fallish! shes a smart lil girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the leaf AND the handprints!

    We did leaf prints for our stART project tomorrow:-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the negative space painting (and the leaf printing too!). So cute on how she insisted on just doing her own thing. She's a true open-ended art girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you let her take the project the direction she wanted. That can be hard to do sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!