Friday, September 18, 2009

Tot School: Week 2 of Apples

It has rained here every day for more than a week now. That has really limited our outside playtime and is giving M and I both cabin fever!

This was week two of our apple theme. First, we did a sensory activity where I placed an apple, an orange, a ball and a potato inside a bag. M had to try and draw the apple (or whatever I asked for that turn) out without looking. At first, she was selecting based on shape and had trouble getting the right one. Gradually she learned how each one felt and was able to get them all by the end!

We also filled M's water table with fall leaves for a fun sensory activity this week.


We finished several projects we had started last week. Our handprint apple tree (similar to the one we did for Chicka Chicka week) was fun as M always love painting her hands. We made the apples by dipping a pencil eraser in our paint and dabbing with it.


Next, we cut open an apple crosswise, looked at the star inside, and then made apple prints.


We made a paper bag apple (this idea came from Cider and Faun via The Crafty Crow). M loved painting the bag on this one, and took a long time to try and get it all red. (I did give her a wide brush to use.)


We also counted apple seeds, bobbed for apple slices, and taste tested three different types of apples, but I didn't get photos of those activities this week.

M and Daddy made some playdough shapes this week.


J took M onto the laptop to play on Starfall for the first time. She loved it!


That was our week in Tot School. To see what other's are doing in Tot School, go to 1+1+1=1.

10 comments:

  1. What a fun week (and what a DOLL Miss M is! I love that last picture of the two of them!). Love the use of fall leaves and that handprint apple tree is perfect.

    And ahhh, how I wish we could get a little rain and fall-ish weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great week! I love all the apple activities. I had themes all planned out, but we didn't do one this week. Perhaps the next week will have a theme. She's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything you did with your apples theme this week--the prints, tree and p. bag craft.

    Your sensory tubs are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just spent some time looking through your blog. I love he sensory tubs! I was wondering at what age did you start tot trays?

    rogersfamilycircus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your apple theme turned out great! I was going to do an apple theme this month too, but Lil'man is still very much into the farm. Don't you just love all the activities out there using their hand prints!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture of J and M together is so very neat. My daughter is on "painting strike", but before we used a small sponge brush for paper bag projects - it covers large areas so much faster. Great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great week...I am planning some more apple activities this week. I may give some of yours a try! Thanks for some great ideas :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the apple bag craft, and I really like your idea for pulling out the fruit without looking. We we will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing all these GREAT ideas! Love the sensory ones and can't wait to try them with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the picture of the kids together at the computer - so cute! And your fall leaves look gorgeous in the sensory table! What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!