Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tot School: Buses and Trucks



This week in Tot School was one of those weeks where we did a lot of unplanned fun rather than set projects. On Monday we spent two hours at the park playing near our house, Wednesday we had friends over, Thursday we did the first story time at the library, and Saturday the kids went to a birthday party.

Our theme this week was trucks and buses. This came about because the big yellow school bus drives down our street every morning picking up the kids for high school, and M loves to watch for it.

For sensory play, we brought her water table indoors. We filled it with shredded paper (which she loved to help us cut) and added several of her brother's matchbox cars. M had a great time driving the cards down the ramp and into the shredded paper. Once they were lost in the paper then she got to dig around for them. This fun lasted all week long.



We played with our Melissa & Doug lacing bus and race car. These are way too hard for M to do at this stage, so they will get put away for awhile.


Since we have already done the letter B, we worked on the letter T for trucks and tires. We used the idea from Carisa at 1+1+1=1 and made tire tracks on our letter Ts.


I made M a car out of an carboard box, and she had fun pretending to drive around the house.


We participated in Open Ended Art and made modeling clay and pebble mosaics.


M spent a lot of time this week working on her latches puzzle.


And we balanced the trucks with some princess playtime...

and some paper dolls. I had printed these out from Wee Wonderfuls several months ago, but was waiting to use them. I ran them through my Xyron machine to make them laminated magnets and she played with them on her magnetic dry erase board. They occupied her for 45 minutes at J's doctor's appointment this week, so I think they were a hit!


That was our week in Tot School. You can see what other's have done in Tot School by going to 1+1+1=1. Next week we start our apple theme. I have so many ideas planned that we'll do two weeks of apples, unless M gets bored before then.

20 comments:

  1. How I always LOVE your blog!! Another great week, full of fun. :) I love your new use of the water table! Maddie's is currently filled with half beans/half rice and that's been a big hit. I think we'll have to try the shredded paper, too! Maddie is just itching to cut on her own but just can't apply enough pressure.

    Anyway, great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! LOVE the use of the water table and the magnetic paper dolls are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. our library has that latch puzzle and Aaron loves to play with it! I need to see about buying him one!

    We are going to start our letters soon...I love the T activity making tire tracks...I know Aaron will love that one!

    Those paper dolls are too cute. I will have to bookmark that one for Alyssa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new use for the water table. Maybe I can talk my husband into letting me buy one, even though it is getting colder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love those paper dolls must check them out. What fab idea to use your sand/water table. Actually have been happy with that particluar table? I am looking at them now for my LO and yours looks like one I have been eyeing off...it's hard to decide what to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unplanned fun is always the best fun! Looks like a great week for you guys - my daughter loves her latch board too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unplanned fun is always the best fun! Looks like a great week for you guys - my daughter loves her latch board too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cutie your little girl is in that princess picture. It put a smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have so many great activities. I love the magnetic paper dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love our water table; it's the Step 2 Water Wheel Play Table. When it is being used for water it has a tower that your LO can pour water through and make a water wheel spin, which my daughter adores. It comes with some pouring cups and two little sailboats, also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun! I love the paper dolls best... I wonder if I can make some of those for Little Bear and Pufferfish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your shredded paper activity - so simple, but lots of fun! You had a really great week! I love when those unplanned projects turn into a week of great fun! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your sensory tub ideas and cardboard box car too!

    You are lots of fun:-)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kayleigh just tested those latch puzzle at the library yesterday and they are now on her Christmas list!

    I love the little car that you made. I'll have to remember that when we do a car theme. Kayleigh loves to sit in boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your little car is so cute and I love the paper dolls. Thanks for the link to them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an awesome week! I love M in her Princess outfit, especially in the middle of her trucks and buses unit. I have to look up those paper dolls, I was looking for something like this for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great week! I may have to clean out our water table and bring it in for the winter. Oh the endless possibilities of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that little princess outfit, she is just so darn cute! I like all the things you did, especially the sensory table. I'll have to find a way to do something similar with M. I know he would love driving cars into the paper and then digging for them! Great post, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am putting the latches puzzle on Santa's list. I love the magnet clothes, so cool. I have done open ended art with my school aged kids but not the tots- you've inspired me to include them :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sunshine has the same sensory table and we are so going to do this for the upcoming winter! We'll store in on the porch and pull it inside on days we are going to use it! Thanks so much for the great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!