This week we participated in Simply Made Sunday hosted by Susana at Our Homeschool Fun. This is something I am planning to participate in more with J than with M. J and I made sugar cookies, and then M and J cut them out into star and moon shapes. J is getting better at measuring ingredients, and he really does enjoy helping in the kitchen.
Sugar Cookies Recipe
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 c sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
grated rind of one lemon
pinch of salt
2 1/2 c flour
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter until soft. Add the sugar gradually and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Using a wooden spoon, slowly mix in the whole egg and the egg yolk. Add the vanilla, lemon rind and salt. Stir to mix well.
- Sift the flour over mixture and stir to blend. Gather the dough into a ball, wrap, and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a floured surface, roll out the dough until about 1/8 inch thick. Stamp out shapes or rounds with floured cookie cutters.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, until lightly colored. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before decorating, if wished, with icing.