Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pebble Mosaics


This week we participated in the Open-Ended Art hosted by Teaching My Little Bookworm. The theme was mosaics and pebbles.

I didn't think M was old enough to work with plaster of paris or concrete, so we used modeling clay as the base for our mosaics, and pebbles from our yard (okay, really small rocks not smooth pebbles, but they were as close as we had).

I rolled the clay out and M cut it into shapes with her cookies cutters. Then she pressed in the "pebbles" from our yard and we baked them dry.


At first she was hesitant to add too many pebbles, but soon she got the hang of it! M loved that the clay was colored and that she could cut it out herself. It wasn't very thick so we weren't able to fully embed the pebbles, but they did stay once the clay was dried.

8 comments:

  1. They turned out great! I have that same modelling clay and have been wondering what to do with it. Does it dry so you can keep your artwork? Or do you have to bake it... or what? I have been trying to find out, but I've thrown the packaging away. If you know, I'd love to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have used cookie cutters, those are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great - what a neat project for a young child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. really great job! i love the cookie cutters mosaics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, we had fun with our cookie cutters too. Now that I see how colorful yours are, I will definitely let the kids paint theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute these turned out! Gosh, we need to get back into Open Ended Art; seeing all these great mosaics inspires me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!