Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Abstract Art

The space above our fireplace has been empty since we moved in to our house 2 1/2 years ago. My husband and I have very different tastes in art. In fact, we only have one piece hung anywhere in our house - the only piece we have ever agreed on. Our solution: let the kids paint the artwork for our family room. This past weekend we bought four 16 x 20 canvases and taped them together at the back. We supplied artist-quality oil paints, palettes and brushes and set the kids up in the garage with directions on how to be abstract. We let them each start painting and periodically turned the canvas so they worked on every side. The result - one fun family afternoon, one very messy baby, and one abstract painting that now hangs proudly over our fireplace.

5 comments:

  1. This is unbelievably beautiful! What a wonderful idea! And your kids really outdid themselves... and it sounds like they had a great time. :) I'm very, very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very impressed as well. Your two artists did a great work. Maybe you should start selling their work for a lot of money :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! We let Esme loose on canvas once, but the effect wasn't quite as pretty as what you've got... It's hanging in our bedroom, and hubby asked me if I could paint over it and let Esme at it again to see if we can come up with something better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have four blank canvases that I was trying to decide what to do with...what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!