Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tot School: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Edition

I have a confession to make: I don't like the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I find the pictures boring, the rhyming doesn't work for me, and I think there are so many better alphabet books out there (I love Alphabears). However, both my kids LOVE this book, so I agreed to do a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom-themed week for them.

Chicka Chicka Trays: We started by putting away M's usual Montessori trays and instead making five Chicka Chicka trays. First was a palm tree and number three printout from Making Learning Fun. The point was to fill in the empty dots using dot painters (bingo markers). M loved this one, and we did several sheets each day!


Next was a print out of the palm tree which J colored and M decorated with alphabet stickers. Third were a set of sequencing cards (0-3 coconuts on each) that you had to put in order. This one bored M, so later we just started adding brown pompoms onto each card to match the number of coconuts and counting them.


Next, we cut strips of pink and orange paper using toddler scissors. This was M's first time using scissors herself (I usually help her) and yes, I do realize she is gripping them all wrong. We're working on it.

Finally, I took the palm tree printout from Totally Tots, taped it to her cookie tray and gave her some magnetic letters to use. M made them go "up and down" the tree all week, and we worked on saying the sounds of the letters as they went up.


Chicka Chicka Art: Since M loves anything to do with paint, we did a hand and arm painted tree that we saw at Preschool Rock, and then added some letters with out sponge stamps. It was messy, but M had a lot of fun with this (she actually made three trees).


We also made alphabet collages using letters cut out from junk mail. M is very good with the glue stick now and can do it all herself. We talked about the sounds of the letters she chose.

Chicka Chicka Games: To make our week more interactive, we played with our sidewalk chalk. I drew circles with a letter in each, and M hopped from letter to letter. We said the sound of each letter as she landed on it. Very fun!

We also did some coconut bowling using a fresh coconut as the ball and partially filled plastic water bottles as the pins. Later, we broke the coconut open to make our snacks.

Chicka Chicka Snacks: We used fresh coconut to make a snack one day. We made coconut blueberry muffins and pineapple coconut smoothies which we drank out of plastic coconut cups. Very yummy!

We also did many fun things not related to our theme like playing with playdough, in our sandbox, with our dress-up beads and with our water table.

M also loved playing the harmonica this week. It belongs to J, but he lets her borrow it and she has gotten quite good at sustaining notes. So, J plays Daddy’s trumpet or his guitar and she plays her harmonica and they put on little concerts for us. Very cute, and loud!

That was our Chicka Chicka Boom Boom themed week at Tot School. Go to 1+1+1=1 to see what others have done for Tot School this week.

8 comments:

  1. I love all of the fun things you did with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom-one of my favorite books:-)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super new to Tot School, but just wanted to say that I'm absolutely motivated by all of your Chicka Chicka activities!! I used to teach first grade and that was always one of my favorite books to use. My daughter would be thrilled with the painting and dot stamping and, well, everything! Thank you so much for motivating me to do a Chicka Chicka week ourselves!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with a theme you weren't thrilled about (not MY favorite book either!). Love the magnets going up the tree and the chalk letters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same as you about the book, but we enjoyed the song and video. I'll be visiting to use some of your ideas if we ever revisit Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am amazed that you found so much to do for Chicka-Chicka Boom-Boom. It's pretty neat that you also used a real coconut to link the book to real life. Happy teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the activities from Making Learning Fun!! I use them often with my prechoolers. Nice to see others using them too! What a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow im so impressed with all your ideas for the book chicka chicka boom boom, especially the tree magnet tray! I love that and would definately like to do some of these activities in our upcoming weeks...
    When I first read chicka chicka boom boom I didn't like it either but I guess it grows on you and now i've finally got the rythm of the song so its a lot better!

    This was my first week doing tot school so im still very new at this, thank you for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!