Thursday, July 23, 2009

Grandma's Homemade Playdough


There are as many recipes for homemade playdough as you could imagine. One of the more popular ones uses peanut butter, but since M has a peanut allergy, that one is out for us. We like this version my mom used to make when I was a kid because it is easy and uses ingredients you already have on hand. J, M and I add glitter and essential oils for some additional pizazz.

Ingredients:
1 c flour
1 c warm water
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp oil
¼ c salt
Food coloring
½ tsp of peppermint/lemon/almond or other essential oil
Glitter

Mix flour, cream of tartar, oil and salt in a saucepan. (I have a cheap one I use just for these types of projects). In a separate container mix food coloring with water and add to the pot with the glitter and essential oil. Stir and heat over medium heat until smooth (only a few minutes).
Knead until blended smooth.

Store in an airtight container and it keeps for a long time. Food coloring does stain when wet so I use a recycled yogurt carton to mix with the essential oil and water. This is NOT an edible recipe so be sure you use with little ones who won’t eat it.

Here is what J made with this the other day - a castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!